Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Plastic in the Face

I just turned 25. Every time I get carded and the bouncer asks my age, my mouth opens to say I'm 21. Apparently my long-term memory doesn't log any age after that. Which is fine for now, because at least I look 21, if not 17. I often dress like a teenager, and my hair is never styled like a grown woman would wear it. Most of the time, I don't even brush my hair. I call it 'Beach waves'.

But. I'm starting to notice the effects of aging. 


Now, I don't smoke. I don't drink. I always protect my face from the sun. I moisturize, and I do what I can to avoid looking ragged or pruneish. 

But my eyes. They seem to be getting eye wrinkles. They're only prominent when I smile, but I think I'm starting to look James Franco-y when that happens.




I promised my bff (best boyfriend forever) that I wouldn't ever have cosmetic plastic surgery. And I don't want to, really. I'm terrified. There's so many garbage faces out there, women who threw out the eyes and mouth and noses they inherited from their ancestors, only to adopt scary plastic masks that look, at best, not like them at all. 

These plastic faces seem to mimic representations of beauty that are prevalent and enjoyed, even by me: 


Eyebrow lift,  nose upturning, eye expansion

  +

Total facelift, cheek injections, heart-shaping of the face


=


Source: GUP Magazine


Japanese anime doesn't even include noses in its characters much of the time. But Michael Jackson accidentally proved that cutting your nose down to 1/8th of its size is a very poor idea. When it gets that small, it looks like a hangnail. 

I'm never going to have a cute little nose, I'll never have eyes that take up half my face. I appreciate the aesthetic on Bambi, but I'm a real person, and I should probably stay that way. 

Because once I get started, I'll probably end up looking like this:



It looks like a glamour shot from Toddlers and Tiaras. And nobody wants that, unless you're a stage mom or an eager 5-year-old princess. (What is wrong with this world? Also, I kind of like my blush colour here. Ugh I'm the worst.)

No comments:

Post a Comment