Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Matching, Clashing, and Fashion

Please meet our stylish contestants for the 1970s version of...

Fashion Your Room!

These wonderful ladies each have a distinct personality. It's up to us (by us I mean me) to find the perfect room decor to suit their style. And then Photoshop them into place. And then it's your job to mouse over the image and be amazed.



I admit, the 1970s were kind of extreme (and often ugly), which is why it's all so fascinating to me. High necklines, prints, medieval sleeves, bellbottoms; everything so brutal, garish, outrageous... no wonder the 80s were so bonkers. They had to find a way to top the previous decade.

Even the trends in interior decor involved overwhelming colours of wall paint, rugs, ephemera, assembled to really make an impact. Like a mallet to your brain. To be clear, I could never live in such a place, and I don't condone it. But it's so much fun to look at!

 

And now, on to our lovely ladies.





            
   Shelly

  Age: 28

  Profession: Interpretive Dance Instructor

  Hobbies: Geometry and Lamp collecting

  Favourite Drink: Cherry Cola

  Guilty Pleasure: Swinging on the weekends


Unveiling, the perfect room to match Shelly! Mouse over to see her in it.







   Margo

  Age: 21

  Profession: Veterinarian

  Hobbies: Parasailing and Making jewelry

  Favourite Hangout: In a tree

  Guilty Pleasure: Wearing sunglasses inside


Here is the room for Margo! Mouse over to see her in it.








  Linda

  Age: 25

  Profession: Opera Singer

  Hobbies: Space Invaders and Gardening

  Favourite Food: Strawberry sauce fondue

  Guilty Pleasure: Blackjack



Check out Linda in her killer living room!









  Rita

  Age: 29

  Profession: Carpenter

  Hobbies: Winemaking and jousting

  Favourite Music: Organ music

  Guilty Pleasure: She never feels guilty



Here's Rita, in her serious serious chamber:










  Terry and Mary
  
  Age: 24

  Profession: Nurses

  Hobbies: Checkers and Double dates

  Favourite Nightspot: The Disco

  Guilty Pleasure: Knitting each other vests!



Since Terry and Mary are inseparable pals, here's the perfect pad for the pair:






This was essentially a one-player game, but thanks for coming along for the ride. The women were sourced from my 1972 Joan Fisher's Guide to Needlecraft, and the decor was taken from something like Interior Decorating on a Budget (1970s).

I have a small amount of OCD. Like many people. And I love matching things up, because it makes me feel complete in some way. Steady. 

However, my clothes never match. I was actually having a conversation about this with my very fashionable friend Victoria. She basically said, "It's funny how some people think that wearing everything in their closet in a random arrangement means they're on the cutting edge of high fashion." (Visit some hipster fashion blogs and you'll know what we mean). 

 I completely agree with her. But don't get me wrong. Mismatching is totally legit. Check this: I've been mismatching my clothes since I was 6, and it's because I wear what feels flattering and exciting, and if the colours do it for me. Even someone as lazy as I am can put together a completely clashing outfit. And I'm pretty sure I don't deserve a pat on the back for that. 

But I'll take an iced tea, if you've got it.

No comments:

Post a Comment