Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Frankentoys & Regretsy

As you probably already know, Etsy is an awesome marketplace for crafters and artists to sell their works (and I buy from it constantly). But if you've ever searched through listings on Etsy, you'd see that it's definitely hit and miss. And that's where Regretsy comes in.




Regretsy showcases the best of the worst of Etsy goods, and I mean that as a compliment. Your shit is probably bananas-bad if it's on Regretsy, and I think it's exciting to cause such an effect with your work. Which leads us to Frankentoys

Yes, Frankentoys has been featured on Regretsy, but I honestly don't think the works by Frankentoys are awful in a pitiful sad way. Actually, they're terrible in the best way possible! Unexpected toy juxtapositions, sewn together in ridiculous and wonderful ways. This is art, my friends, whether you like it or not. Clever, unpretentious, and hilarious. 

Red Carpet Chupacabra (69.95 USD)

Jurassic Jane (42.00 USD)
Death by Dolphin (42.50 USD)

Plus all of these toys have been rescued and repurposed, which fits with the idea of living more greenly, right? I remember when I was a wee little girl, I would recycle the strangest things to make new masterpieces. Snakeskin shoulder pads? Turned them into a flashy purse for my 10-year-old self. But I've got nothing on Frankentoys creator Rachel Peters. And I hope she doesn't Regret(sy) making these beauties. God, that last joke was awful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment