Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Flora On My Mind

It's spring!

I stop to stare at the local flowers, as neighbours stop to stare at me... staring at their flowers. I'm a woman obsessed with blossoms and petals (even though my thumb is the opposite colour of green. I have a red thumb). 


Maybe it's because my birthday is in May. Maybe it's because this means the Canadian blizzards are finally on hiatus for a few months. But when it comes down to it, I get high on spring.

Once upon a time in 1988, I watched a mesmerizing stop-motion animated tv show where the characters and background made from real grasses, leaves and flowers. It was called Windfalls, and there's barely a trace of it on the Internet. 


BUT. There's an artist named Elsa Mora who has created some of her own petal people art. They're very similar in style to the Windfalls characters (like Nettle, Butterbur, Rosebay, Delphinium), and they are graphically stunning.








They look good enough to eat.

Speaking of which: when we were filming scenes for Dundas Street at
Domino's on Sunday (in the St. Lawrence Market), I perused their incredible selection of edible flowers, like candied lavender. Flowers, for eating! I'm kinda tardy for the party here, but as an amateur vegan/wheat-free baker, it got me all kinds of fired up!




(To be fair, one of my favourite movie scenes ever is when Willy Wonka drinks the daffodil tea cup, then eats it.)


He takes a whiskey drink, he takes a vodka drink

He eats a lager drink, he eats a cider drink....
and sings the songs that remind him of the best times


Right? So good.

Also, I always loved this Alice in Wonderland scene. I might have talked to flowers as a kid, after seeing it. Because hey, plants have personalities too.


Alice in Wonderland Pansies


Tiger Lily and Dandelion, in Wonderland


And, as is evident from my name in the top right, I have a soft spot for poppies. And Dorothy is literally getting high on spring here. I was just being metaphorical about myself before; She's the one doing the hardcore substance abuse. 


Wizard of Oz: Dorothy high on poppies

At least it looks pretty damn good on her.

No comments:

Post a Comment