Thursday, May 26, 2011

Take a look, it's in a book! A Reading Rainbow

Why, hello there. Welcome to my secret cove of handheld delights.

It's super convenient that books are available electronically now, and I no longer run the risk of smearing chocolate all over the cover, or accidentally lighting pages on fire.

But beautiful and absurd books are my weakness. Sometimes I actually avoid stepping into used bookstores, because I might want too many of them, just based on their looks. Living in a teeny apartment means no storage, and no room for such stray dogs I want to claim as my own.

The thing about those paper pups... is that they always find their way to me somehow.

These relics are my little treasures. I always try to downsize my stuff upon stuff, but I just can't toss these:


101 Glamorous Gifts to Make by Miriam Morrison Peake, Scholastic Book Services 1967

Design by Roger Heins, Photograph by John Gruen 

Found: Garage Sale (I think), from when I was 9ish. I tried to make some of these crafts, but only got 1/8th of the way through, every time. Love the *glamorous* cellophane lion. This handy book also includes plenty of gift advice, such as:

The Masculine Approach
"Men, it has often been said, are really just grown-up boys. For them, humor, hobbies, and sports replace the little fripperies that delight a woman's heart. You should flatter their egos, appeal to their sense of fun, and cater to their preferences [...] Wrappings can have masculine flavor."



Cavalcade of Comedy by Louis Kronenburger, Simon & Schuster 1953

Design by Seymour Robins

Found: Last year I went to a Korean restaurant, and for about 15 minutes no servers seemed to notice us. So we left, and lying outside was this court-jestery consolation prize.



Carefree Gardening by Jean Hersey, Van Nostrend Reinhold 1961



Found: Value Village in Barrie, Thanksgiving 2008. My bedroom is adorned with many faded old photos of sunny gardens and fields, and this cover + the typography = slam dunk. I've been meaning to frame it. Alas, I can be pathologically lazy sometmz.



Heloise's Hints For Working Women by Heloise, Simon & Schuster 1971



Found: Recently a neighbour was moving, and tried to give me a ton of her old things. Then she asked me for a monetary donation for them. This book was worth it, I think. I dig the title typography. The content is a confused little mix of sexism and go-get'em-gal-ism:

"It's unfair that working gals, who have to be seen in public so much, are the ones with the least time for beauty and grooming. Though we all want to look nice for our families, they'll always love us, even if our nail polish is chipping a bit. But appearance on the job really counts! If you work in an office, naturally, your boss is going to want a well-groomed, attractive you to welcome his clients."



Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams, Pan Books 2001



Found: Antique Store on Queen West, on a summer stroll in 2009 (although it's not exactly an antique, as this commemorative edition was published in the current decade). This cover looks like a photographed tv screen, in friendship bracelet colours. Neat science fiction type treatment.



Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen, Doubleday and Company 1945



Pride and Prejudice, inside cover

Found: Junction Value Village last year. There seems to be a dust jacket missing, but we don't need it. It's so cute, it looks like Pride and Prejudice for Newborn Baby Girls. Oh, the lessons they'd learn.



Vivre en Amour by somebody amazing, 1974




Found: Value Village in Montreal, summer trip 2008. A ton of NSFW illustrations inside, with French Canadian couples frolicking in bed and doing stuff. It's a seriously informative book, but nothing beats the ridiculous photographs:

Oral Contraceptives


Fantasies


In-Laws


Hand Intercourse


No comments:

Post a Comment