Thursday, April 21, 2011

Our Bodies, Ourselves


--------------
Kinda NSFW
--------------  
 
I came across Anders Krisár's art recently, and it hit me like a ton of bricks. 


The Birth of Us (Boy), 2007 by Anders Krisár (fiber glass, oil paint, hardware)


As always with art, you can indulgently analyze, and rave to others about an artist's work... and just like telling someone about a dream you had, often they don't care about why it matters to you. So I'll do my best to spare you the intricacies of my deep, spiritual (magical, unicorn, etc) connection with his work. 


Cuirass (Front), 2005 by Anders Krisár
(silicone, fiber glass, oil paint, mdf, plastic padding, metal screws)


However, I will say this much: I flatter myself thinking that if I like it, the work must be incredible. So yes, according to my roaring human instincts, Anders Krisár's work is amazing. Powerful and daring, while avoiding coming across as forced or juvenile. Thunderous emotion, achieved simply and peacefully. 



Untitled, 2006 by Anders Krisár (bronze, beeswax, electrical heater)



Ok, I broke my silence there, just a bit. For the most part, I truly feel that nothing more needs to be said, and that's a top drawer compliment. 



Flesh Cloud Series by Anders Krisár


Flesh Cloud Series by Anders Krisár



And now... a special treat! Krisar's work is reminiscent of Hannah Wilke's S.O.S. (Starification Object Series) [a bit NSFW]. I have written about her work many times before, in analog form, and she's been a long favored artist of mine. 






 


In the S.O.S. Starification Object Series (1974) little clitoris shapes are made in
chewing gum folds that are placed all over Wilke's body like small scars or bites.


Ms. Wilke passed away in 1993 of lymphoma, and while her work is appreciated and celebrated in prominent galleries, I (totally flattering myself again) feel like it's my personal duty to continue sharing her mesmerizing, clever, gutsy feminist art.

No comments:

Post a Comment